I think it might be time for another reset.

General Talk about ClownerCraft
Forum rules
1. No swearing, or inappropriate language. Please keep things family friendly.
2. No offensive posts
3. Be respectful of other people's opinions.
4. Keep posts on-topic. No discussion of other servers.
brs117

I think it might be time for another reset.

Post by brs117 » July 11th, 2016, 7:31 am

I know that resets are never opportune for everyone but I personally think a fresh start would be good for the majority of the server. I never thought I would see the day this server had around 35k unique players but with this amazing feat comes lots of builds some currently inhabited but I would assume the vast majority have been abandoned. The reason why I suggest a reset is the culmination of a few problems. First of all, most new players cannot find suitable space to build. This problem could easily be solved through a reset and would open the door for many new possible builds. Also, I am not sure if resetting would help with the lag but its worth a shot in my opinion. I know that their will be objections against a reset but I would propose that their be a grace period depending on the staff but I would suggest around a month so that players could get ready. In this time players could get their builds ranked and finish up any projects along with stockpiling any of their past resources. This could ease the transition by setting a reasonably far off date for which all players had to be ready. I know this could just be me but I think in the long term this would be a good step for this amazing community and I hope those seeing this give it some serious thought.Feel free to give feedback on this issue.
Best regards brs117

brs117

Re: I think it might be time for another reset.

Post by brs117 » July 11th, 2016, 7:36 am

P.S Also, this would solve the problem of the corrupted chunks seen as it would be a new world.

FredTheGreat

Post by FredTheGreat » July 11th, 2016, 7:39 am

This seems like a great idea that could solve lots of problems. It could also give people the motivation they need to build something new!

devjoll

Post by devjoll » July 11th, 2016, 8:21 am

I see where you're coming from but you also have to consider the other side of the coin
There are people like me that have been working on massive projects for months or even years... and losing all progress would probably cause those players to quit the server especially considering there is still a lot of available space for building. Not only would I lose the 3 months of progress on my rank build, but I would lose all my other ranked builds, farms, and other various projects, including my storage room which holds about 90% of all of my very valuable resources. I would also lose my gold farms, which took me weeks to build. There are various other better solutions to solving lag, and although they may not be optimal, they're less likely to upset a large amount of players...

There are also workarounds that would settle both sides, for example you could "copy and paste" builds into the new world to ease the pain in a sense

Here's a link to a strawpoll I created regarding the issue.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10718823
Zip zop boopity bop

brs117

Post by brs117 » July 11th, 2016, 8:39 am

I understand your concerns and like myself I also have lots of farms etc that have taken me many many hours that would be displaced with a change of this caliber. However, when it comes to the finishing of peoples builds, like I said the mods and owner could collaborate and set a suitable date for a server restart so it could be sooner or later depending if they choose to take a course of action regarding these posts.

ToXiC_Cobra4

Post by ToXiC_Cobra4 » July 11th, 2016, 9:27 pm

I think the best suitable option is to make a new world and once that world is made give players 3 months with both worlds in order to finish and move all of their stuff to the new world after that they can do what they did for the last world reset and give everyone a link to the world so they can have their builds on single player. Not only could a new world fix the chunk errors it could also remove some of the lag and that would be the very beneficial to every player no matter the rank. Overall I completely agree with a new world and I wish to see one. Thanks Toxic_Cobra4

TheClowner
Site Admin

Post by TheClowner » July 11th, 2016, 10:22 pm

I never like having to do resets.
The only one the server's had (for the main world) was with 1.7.
And that was originally intended to just be a second world for the new terrain.

I do not want to reset the server world any time soon. There is a large amount of free space in the world, what people don't realise is you may have to walk around a bit after you /rtp.

Resetting the world is not going to reduce any of the server lag (although we are going to be working on that soon, I've just been rather busy over the past couple of weeks).