Blacklisted Severs (EULA Follow Up)

Things we announce. You know, the interesting bits.
Forum rules
1. No swearing, or inappropriate language. Please keep things family friendly.
2. No offensive posts
3. Be respectful of other people's opinions.
4. Keep posts on-topic. No discussion of other servers.
TheClowner
Site Admin

Blacklisted Severs (EULA Follow Up)

Post by TheClowner » May 2nd, 2016, 3:06 pm

Quite a while ago now, a lot of drama appeared surrounding the minecraft End User License Agreement (EULA). This came after mojang pointed out that technically, servers were breaking the terms by selling items. (Note "selling" not "donating" - a donation has always been fine, but you cannot call it a donation when you give someone something in return.)

Well, theres been some drama in the past couple of days. I thought I'd share my two cents on this.

What's happened is that people have discovered Mojang will be blacklisting some servers in 1.9.3, meaning any player in 1.9.3 is unable to join these servers. All the servers that are black listed are ones which are not EULA compliant.

Many server owners, and other members of the community, have lashed out at this, claiming it will "Kill minecraft". Just as they did when the EULA issue first presented itself. Most servers that refuse to comply are claiming that they wont make enough money by following the rules.

Unlike most of the servers out there it seems, I'm siding with Mojang. They had valid reasons to introduce the rules, and when you run a server you are required to accept the license terms. There is no reason why they shouldn't be moving to deal with servers that do not comply.

Multiplayer minecraft does appear "Pay-to-win" on most servers now. Especially the larger networks, and I strongly feel that pay-to-win games are bad. I don't like them, I don't play them. Hence, I don't want a game that is "pay to play" to become pay to win because of servers. I've always been keen to try and make sure that everyone has their chance at ranks and other such things on the server - I'm not running this to make money, I only need enough to cover our costs and then anything extra can be re-invested back into the server.

ClownerCraft was meant to be different, I wanted to show that servers don't have to be the way they are. And I think this whole pay-to-win aspect is one of the things we need to change in the server community.

I'd love to see other people's opinions on this issue, so please do leave a reply to this topic...

Skelebone2000

Re: Blacklisted Severs (EULA Follow Up)

Post by Skelebone2000 » May 3rd, 2016, 9:43 pm

Would this mean people cannot have SUP, VIP, and VIP+ commands?

TheClowner
Site Admin

Post by TheClowner » May 4th, 2016, 8:06 am

No, our paid ranks are compliant, there will be no changes to sup, VIP or VIP+

Bainidhe

Post by Bainidhe » June 5th, 2016, 4:48 pm

I agree with Clowner. When the servers were out of commission for a bit, I tried to satisfy my MC fix on other servers. What I saw a lot, and was unhappy with, was the rampant pay-to-win on a lot of the servers. That's one of the things I really like about ClownerCraft. You build to win. You participate, interact, and make the place better, and you are rewarded.

It is my sincere hope that this server stays around as long as MC itself. Keep up the good work, Clowner!