Important: Stricter Teamspeak Policy

Any ideas, issues, complaints you wish to voice!
Forum rules
1. No swearing, or inappropriate language. Please keep things family friendly.
2. No offensive posts
3. Be respectful of other people's opinions.
4. Keep posts on-topic. No discussion of other servers.
Anon420

Important: Stricter Teamspeak Policy

Post by Anon420 » August 19th, 2017, 4:23 am

Alright, I'm going to preface by saying that I don't think that TS3 should be policed as strongly as survival server. Hell, I don't even know if there's a report system. I don't want to remove swearing in TS3, but I do think there should be explicit rules about not discussing offensive topics and/or have offensive avatars, unless it's in a private channel. Sadly, it's commonplace for people to joke about cancer, suicide, mental disorders, etc., and I think it's high time we put a stop to this. I've even seen it used as a platform to basically bully people into quitting the server. The way it's being run right now is the exact opposite of that the Clownercraft server tries to be. Clownercraft, to me at least, represents a warm and open community that accepts anyone. Teamspeak, as it stands, is used as a vessel for creating drama, bullying, and just all around toxicity. People get away from it because audio isn't recorded. If there's a way to report people through Teamspeak, please let me know. I don't want to see this become another toxic place like it has been now.

Izaias

Re: Important: Stricter Teamspeak Policy

Post by Izaias » August 19th, 2017, 5:01 am

:T Probably a voice that doesn't have meaning but I'm sorry you went through this. I surely hope something is done about reporting vs non. I've really never used Teamspeak. [I did make an account one time.] Move of a typer or Discord type of guy, myself. But reading this really doesn't even make me want to try it to be honest. I hope this doesn't ruin your experience with ClownerCraft. Still even so, sorry to hear that it's so harsh there. It's extremely surprising to read this with how the server is so G/PG.
ImageImageImage

RoboPlunger

Post by RoboPlunger » August 20th, 2017, 9:51 pm

I do agree with this. I dont think it should be heavily policed, but I also dont think the topics mentioned should be treated as if its nothing. I think that making jokes about such things should be discouraged, and if it continues then other actions may be needed. In private channels where no one in teh chnnel cares, but if someone in the channel has had bad experiences and finds the jokes in poor taste, then people should respect that. I think it comes more to people being decent and respecting others than having to make rules. My view is that if someone asks you not to talk about a sensitive topic then you should just drop it. You dont know what people have been through and what sort of effects such trauma has had.
Last edited by RoboPlunger on August 21st, 2017, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miimaster1

Post by miimaster1 » August 21st, 2017, 6:04 am

If you use Teamspeak frequently, or really at all, you know I'm one of the most active members of the community. Without beating around the bush, the clownercraft Teamspeak is pretty much a separate entity from the actual server. This is due to less staffing and no one really standing out saying "Hey I don't like this behaviour". The big issue is, the majority of active members who come on teamspeak frequently are all part of the same friend group, and we don't mind leaving the teamspeak. The problem is, people only join the teamspeak when other people are on, and when we go, there'll be no one to start off the chain of people talking to each other. The teamspeak will die. So you have to weigh up what you want - Do you want a child-friendly teamspeak, closely related to the server, in which no one ever comes online, or do you want it in its crude state, in which people do come on. If you want, we can move out. You can have the teamspeak. The empty, dead husk of what's left, that is.

RoboPlunger

Post by RoboPlunger » August 21st, 2017, 7:09 pm

I think there's a huge difference in kid friendly, and what had been suggested in this topic. Kid friendly would be no cursing, no inuendos, no dirty humor, etc. That would make it less enjoyable. What has been mentioned in this post isn't about it being kid friendly. It's about it continuing to be welcoming to everyone. If people don't want to come on because there is a lack of respect for certain things (such as cancer, mental health, suicide jokes) then there's a problem. I think it once again comes down to who is in the channel. My attitude towards TeamSpeak has always been that the conversations should be appropriate for who is in the channel. If there is a 10 year old, it should be kept a bit more appropriate. If everyone is, say, 15 and over, the level of dirty humor could be higher. Same thing with these jokes. If no one in the channel cares, fine. However, if someone in the channel has had problems with such things (cancer, mental illness, suicide) then those things should not be joked about. As I said before, it all comes down to mutual respect. I wouldn't make jokes about about something that would upset someone if they were around. In my mind it's just common courtesy, and showing respect for that person's struggles. Everyone has different experiences and no one else will ever fully understand what they have been through or why they react to things the way they do. Personally, I never joke about cancer, mental health, or suicide, but I know that some people don't understand. You don't have to understand someone to respect them.