Server discord and mcmmo

Any ideas, issues, complaints you wish to voice!
Forum rules
1. No swearing, or inappropriate language. Please keep things family friendly.
2. No offensive posts
3. Be respectful of other people's opinions.
4. Keep posts on-topic. No discussion of other servers.
cheeseries

Server discord and mcmmo

Post by cheeseries » June 29th, 2017, 3:32 am

Probably something youve heard numerous times before, but i thought i would voice my opinion anyway.

I suggest using an official server discord.
Theres a few reasons for this, one being its free, compared to paying for a teamspeak server. You can create all the same permissions and ranks in discord as you can with teamspeak, making player and staff ranks. You could also move your staffs main form of communication to discord as it has both voice channels and text channels.
I think having an official server discord would be great as it will bridge the gap between staff and players, allowing them to communicate off the server in an easy way. It will also make it easier to contact staff who are not in the server as the discord shows a list of users that can be messaged.
Also, like with teamspeak there is no lag or latency issues in group chats as the chats server is hosted elsewhere, rather than on one users own pc and internet connection.
To sum it up, discord is a wonderful, clean programme which combines teamspeak and skype, bringing all communication to one, easy to use platform. and its completely free.

I also suggest mcmmo (i know youve heard it all before) because it introduced a secondary form of progression for users who are not completely focused on building. From a person standpoint, i want it because i live in a jungle and i would love to use treefeller to chop down all the trees in my way.

thanks for reading :P

devjoll

Re: Server discord and mcmmo

Post by devjoll » June 30th, 2017, 3:47 am

Here's my two cents on the topic

Teamspeak is actually free, it only costs if you want unlimited people online. It's free up to 32 people. Discord, as much as I like it, isn't /quite/ as easy to set up for large groups of people. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As for MCMMO, in the early days of the server, before even I joined, this was the plugin people used to rank up. If I remember correctly, it was removed because it took away the main focus of the server, which was building. The reason that I, and likely a whole lot of other people, play this server is because it's unique, and I think that slapping MCMMO onto it will take the appeal away for so many people like me, since it seems to be on all of the dime-a-dozen survival servers. It's not a /bad/ plugin per say, but it just doesn't fit into Clownercraft.

In my humble opinion.
Zip zop boopity bop

Pitatious

Post by Pitatious » July 1st, 2017, 10:04 pm

My opinion on McMMO is that it would tilt the balance of the server economy with easier access to some resources. I love the plugin, but the reason I personally want it is mostly for the woodcutting skill "TreeFeller". It would just make cutting down trees so much easier, allowing me to spend less time chopping, and more time building. There are plenty of plugins that do something similiar, and I get that clownercraft is focused on pretty much vanilla minecraft with an economy. So throwing too many plugins into it will indeed kill that image.

TheClowner
Site Admin

Post by TheClowner » July 2nd, 2017, 12:01 pm

Teamspeak doesn't cost us anything to run. Like dev said, it's free for up to 32 users (and it never sees near that number currently). Generally, I just don't really like how discord works.

As for McMMO, we used to use it for the levelling system only, so all the abilities were disabled. It was purely an alternative way to rankup, but I felt it detracted from the build-based nature of the server. We wont be adding it back. (At least not to the main survival server)