Cryptic requirements for rankups

Any ideas, issues, complaints you wish to voice!
Forum rules
1. No swearing, or inappropriate language. Please keep things family friendly.
2. No offensive posts
3. Be respectful of other people's opinions.
4. Keep posts on-topic. No discussion of other servers.
Sephiroth

Cryptic requirements for rankups

Post by Sephiroth » June 9th, 2017, 8:50 pm

One thing that is frustrating me on this server is the fact that rankup requirements are completely cryptic, and staff are also completely cryptic on the matter as well. I got a response from Guinner, who I know is rather strict on things, about build needs to be expanded to skip ranks. ... What I'd like to know is just HOW MUCH of an expansion is necessary? Why aren't the requirements something we all can see and understand? Sure, I know /warp examples exist, but the examples there are -far smaller- than the apparent requirements necessary for ranking up. I understand that times change, but things need to be revealed rather than kept behind closed doors. I don't really like the secretive requirements the staff have. Of course I don't mind being told it's not enough, but I'd like to know just HOW MUCH more I need to do so that way I'm not entering a constant loop of submit & decline, submit & decline. .. So I'd like these requirements to no longer be hidden behind closed doors, so not just myself, but everyone can understand what to shoot for.

Thank you.

TheClowner
Site Admin

Re: Cryptic requirements for rankups

Post by TheClowner » June 9th, 2017, 9:07 pm

We have the issue that the ranks are a little subjective, and since everything affects other areas, we can't say how much expanding specifically is needed - since that depends on how detailed the build is, whether it has an interior, whether it's nicely landscaped into the surroundings.

That being said, we are working on improving our descriptions for ranks. Keep an eye on the website and forums in the coming weeks.

~Clowner

Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth » June 9th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Subjective, okay. Verb, based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

What I'm asking for is these personal feelings, tastes & opinions to be ruled out, and that the actual requirements be made a little better known to the community. There was mentions of a point system, and if that's the case, how does this point system work? What specific things give you points, and what takes away points? How many points are needed for a rankup, etc. Laying things out in black & white can eliminate this subjective thing going on and get the staff all on one page rather than what we have now where some staff are a bit more stricter than others. Why can't we see the actual details here so we have a bit of a better idea just how much more work is necessary to complete the build and get the rankup one is seeking. Thank you for hearing me out.

TheClowner
Site Admin

Post by TheClowner » June 10th, 2017, 10:45 am

Subjective isn't what i meant. (Writing replies while rather exhausted and tired is a bad idea). I just meant that Theres loads of different factors that affect it. And while yes, there is some opinion in it - which we do try to avoid - theres no easy way to remove this. We want to allow players to have creative freedom, and being specific about what your build must be limits this. We also want to encourage people to try and go above and beyond what we require for a rank. And being specific will just result in people building to a specification, and then get really disappointed if we still don't rank it.

Also, there is no point system. I don't know where you heard that. I mean, there are a few things we check before considering the build - simply just if you built it, if it was used for a previous rank build, if it's been copied from a tutorial - But we don't score the builds in any way.