New Survival Server

Any ideas, issues, complaints you wish to voice!
Forum rules
1. No swearing, or inappropriate language. Please keep things family friendly.
2. No offensive posts
3. Be respectful of other people's opinions.
4. Keep posts on-topic. No discussion of other servers.
eegers

New Survival Server

Post by eegers » June 2nd, 2017, 8:38 pm

Clownercraft:

I believe that I have had a decent idea for the Clownercraft server. I think the server should make a second survival server that only allows diamond rank and above players to enter it. This would allow the higher ranking players to have the space necessary for the much larger builds that the higher ranks require. It has become increasingly more difficult to find enough space to build that is also far enough away from other players. Having this second server would also help to prevent many problems like grief due to the lack of the lower ranking players in this new server.

Thank you for your time

eegers
Last edited by eegers on June 3rd, 2017, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knight_Creeper

Re: New Survival Server

Post by Knight_Creeper » June 2nd, 2017, 8:41 pm

I second this idea. But with the addition of allowing lower ranks to come onto that world but without permissions to build, die, damage and such other things. This is a grand idea

Citostick

Post by Citostick » June 2nd, 2017, 8:48 pm

I also agree with this idea, as it's less likely for higher ranked players to get griefed or stolen from.
Allowing players up until the bronze rank to come on it is also a nice idea so they can use it as examples, but like Knight_Creeper said, keep it restricted.
Anyway, i wholly agree with this and think it's a great idea :D
Others that were on teamspeak at the time also thought it was a good idea.

Cito
So let me introduce myself, I am Citostick, Or, as i would LOVE to be called, The Doctor ~ Now you must wonder, What doctor? Well, you shouldnt be thinking 'what doctor' but 'who doctor' or 'Doctor Who'

devjoll

Post by devjoll » June 2nd, 2017, 8:51 pm

I suppose it would add some incentive to build. We've done it with creative, so it should be possible for survival. If it gets enacted, however, it will likely take some amount of time, as setting up a 'graylisted' server like this can be a bit more complicated due to permissions, it's not as simple as a whitelist. Sounds like it could be fun to have a new world with more building space for people who have shown they are serious enough about building by getting to diamond. It's a great idea, but it's going to take a lot to get it into place, so it could take a long time. That being said, I'd welcome the idea.
Zip zop boopity bop

eegers

Post by eegers » June 3rd, 2017, 1:20 am

My mistake wrong place let me move this.

TheClowner
Site Admin

Post by TheClowner » June 3rd, 2017, 2:55 pm

This sounds like something we could look at.
Currently however, with the way ranks work on the main survival server, we may struggle to automatically give access for diamond+
We'd have to look into syncing the ranks between two servers.... But I'm sure we can work something out to do that.

As dev mentioned, if we do make it, it will take time. And we already have several other servers in the works which we would rather finish before starting anything else new.

Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth » June 4th, 2017, 3:04 am

There's a few major problems with this idea, imho. First of all, if there is a need to have more space in the world, wouldn't it be much easier to just expand the world border by another 5k or 10k block radius?

Second of all, setting up a completely separate server could serve to sever the community into two parts, and possibly make those at Diamond rank and above feel like they can look down upon newer members because they wouldn't be able to do anything on this additional server. Not only that but things like the economy would take a major hit as well, since materials would be sold on either one server or the other, and unless there's a shared inventory system set up, it'd be cumbersome to manage.

Snow

Post by Snow » July 3rd, 2017, 11:37 pm

Expanding the border is a fair idea though it defeats the purpose of the Diamond+ world. The idea for the second world is that it gives Diamond+ players far more room to build with much less of any worries of griefers since the majority od Diamond+ players tend to be more respectful to the server and the server members as they've been around longer and had stronger bonds to the server.

The thought of Diamond+ people looking down at lower rank players due to having their own world seems like a fair point, but then you have to think of the powers a Diamond player already has (fly, more homes, etc). Diamond players already have reasons to look down at players if they so wish, but the majority don't do that as most of them have respect for lower rank players.

And the economy won't be hit hard at all. Yes, the world would increase the number of resources, but that's not a problem at all.

The shared inventory comment isn't that much of an issue either as it has been done before and I'm sure it can be done again. (Currently being done with the Explore World)

-lil_Snow (prev: Knight_Creeper)

TheClowner
Site Admin

Post by TheClowner » July 4th, 2017, 1:54 pm

I think it's important to clarify here the difference between a separate server and a separate world.

Inventories, economy and pretty much anything can easily be shared across different worlds, if they're on the same server. Explore is running as an extra world on the survival server. And the freebuild world is the same on creative.

I would not be keen to run a diamond+ world on the same server though, as this will add more of a demand on server resources (whereas a separate server will spread the load better). Survival already struggles to keep up compared to the rest of the network, because of the size of the world. And naturally, because of this, expanding the worldborder is not an option right now.

With separate servers, since the files are completely separate, synchronising inventories, money, ranks etc is more of a challenge. While it is possible, it's just a lot more difficult since you have to start using plugins and databases to sync between the different servers. And while we already do this for some things (like tickets, tokens, bans, chat) I don't think it's wise to start adding inventories into that.

Ontop of that, just expanding the worldborder would have the same issue of increasing the demand on Survival's resources (in regards to the server, so RAM, CPU etc...).

Looking back at this again, I think this would be detrimental to the server, by splitting our community between two separate servers. And I think it's better for us to look at adding more servers that everyone can access and enjoy.

I_Punch_Trees

Post by I_Punch_Trees » July 7th, 2017, 1:43 am

clowner you could look into multiverse it allows you to have more than one world per server allowing you to have the same perms and kits and ranks just a different world that would fix the problem with the secret servers just an idea I know it would take CPU ram and memory but to would help a few things