Plugin that detects alt accounts/using an alt as a bannable offense

Any ideas, issues, complaints you wish to voice!
Forum rules
1. No swearing, or inappropriate language. Please keep things family friendly.
2. No offensive posts
3. Be respectful of other people's opinions.
4. Keep posts on-topic. No discussion of other servers.
DeltaParallel

Plugin that detects alt accounts/using an alt as a bannable offense

Post by DeltaParallel » June 13th, 2018, 3:34 am

Ive noticed as my time on staff and just being on the server that using an Alt account is allowed. I dont think an Alt account should be allowed as a way to evade a ban. On past servers ive been on its been a bannable offense. Theres also plugins that alert staff members if someone is signing onto an alt on the server. I dont know if it works with VPN's. I dont think that if a bad player signs onto an alt they cant be banned until they break the rules, they should just be banned. This would help staff in detecting those evading their punishment. It would also help staff recognize those who are signing on on throw away minecraft accounts and just spamming the server. I know the server has been having an issue with that recently. It would give the bad players a bannable offense as soon as they log on. There are also plugins that auto ban ip's if they have been banned too many times and prevent someone from logging on on an alt at all without IP ban.

TheClowner
Site Admin

Re: Plugin that detects alt accounts/using an alt as a bannable offense

Post by TheClowner » June 14th, 2018, 8:52 am

Unfortunately these don't get around VPNs. We can already check if multiple users share an IP (generally this means they're alt accounts/family members).

Generally, the people that only come on to cause trouble - will end up IP banned anyway, meaning that if they come on with an alt they would already have had to use a VPN and so we wouldn't be able to detect that.

We might reconsider the policy we have soon though.