When I joined the server after not playing for some time, I was disappointed to see a declining playerbase. I think this is largely due to a lack of updates.
I believe that updating the server (more) regularly by adding/removing features periodically would revive the server and spice it up.
Before that though, one major improvement that could be made quite easily is an improved logo and forum theme. The forums are very ugly and outdated in my opinion, and same with the logo. In my experience, bad logos deter players from joining.
The actual server itself could also use some modernizing.
- The chat is kind of ugly and could be formatted much cleaner and nicer. For example, saying [S] instead of [Survival] in front of every message sent from the survival server could be a good idea (same thing for other servers). Then you could bring back the full rank names.
- In general, the messages that the server and plugins send should (in my opinion, at least) be all one "theme" and follow a familiar format and coloration.
- More GUI-based commands (/help brings up a menu and you can click on things to do actions, learn about features, or run commands).
- Adding on to the GUI-based commands, a new GUI based auction house plugin would be good to have too.
- Crates - While these are (in general) disliked by more "traditional" players, they add a little something to the game.
- Towns - Nothing too fancy, just a simple recognition of towns that players have. I don't think claims would be a good thing to add, but just a simple way to recognize towns with a simple chat to use between town members. (not Towny)
- Shops - Replace ChestShop with something easier to use and updated.